Saturday, May 13, 2006

Oh, The Possibilities...

The reading nook concept really offers endless possibilities. I have been thinking about the sound aspect, and it could become more than just one record playing in the whole room. There could be a record to provide the basic atmosphere for the room, but I believe that each "station" (chair, lamp, and end table) could have a pair of headphones which have their own sounds.
I think that the different chairs should each offer their own feeling. The lighting and the music should each reflect this theme. This can become very conceptual. For example, there could be a tiny little kid's chair and table with a bright unicorn and rainbow lamp, playful pretty music, and a nonsensical book. There could be a modern chair and table with an abstract art book, bright lamp, and hipster jazz playing in the headphones. There could be a beat up old chair with a dull lamp, oldies music, and a book of aged photos. The possibilities go on and on. What I am saying is that each station can become a microcosm of the whole space. Each space would have a totally different atmosphere for the viewer to become immersed in. This piece has the potential to be extremely interactive for the audience.
Each person in the class could have their own individual station. You could represent yourself, or an idea, through the chair, the lamp, the music, the scent, accessories, and most importantly the book.
I hope I conveyed my vision well enough. If you have no clue what I am talking about, post a comment. I am really excited about this piece, and I hope we can pull it off. Please post your ideas for the installation. Communication is the key to a successful group installation.

-Kevin

2 Comments:

At 9:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like this idea!
To expand more on it, I think that shoes could also play a role, maybe having a pair under or by the chair.

When in a home for the first time, usually people take off their shoes , so I think adding them would give it even more of a 'lived-in' look. And maybe we could hide relevent trinkets, mini-books, or photos in them to be another "secret pocket" of some sort.

And this might be a dumb question, but would the music and/or sound have to all be original because of copywright law?

 
At 9:09 PM, Blogger Kevin Clancy said...

sam,

The shoes may work, but people may also trip over them. People might see them as an obstacle and avoid sitting down to read. Maybe not.

I like the idea of having a coat, perhaps, thrown over a chair with the trinkets in them. I do think there should be small things slightly hidden in our installation (remember the hidden books in the last installation).

Copyright...I will be using original recordings. As far as the copyright, I think that we fall into the loop hole of "Education". This is a class, so I don't think that it will be a problem.

I am really glad to see you responding to the blog. Keep viewing and posting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home